For Pierre Journel
Published on 2015-02-17
Springer's name is not unknown on The Channel Guitar since I already had the opportunity to interview Mikaël Springer (in French), a luthier I admire. Combined with the fact that I'm a fan of P90 pickups and that I had done a video review of his Spartan model with one of these pickups, you have the reasons that prompted me to start this Spartan Project!
So what is the Spartan Project? In line with the Frankenstrat project where I documented the making of a guitar based on one of the instruments of Eddie Van Halen, I wanted to launch the Spartan Project to document each steps of the making a guitar of this type by Mikaël, exactly as if you were in his workshop to watch when he works.
Different aspects of the Spartan Project
Here is the content that will be developed for this project:
- Documentation in the form of videos at every stage of the building of the guitar
- A complete video test once the guitar is finished
- An interview with Mikaël at the end
The characteristics of the Spartan
Here are the specifications on which we have agreed with Mikaël for my Spartan:
- Body: spanish cedar, solidbody
- Neck:spanish cedar, set neck
- Fingerboard: 25" scale, Indian rosewood, 22 frets
- Inlays: dots, MOP (front : 5mm, side : 2 mm)
- Pickups: 1 tapped bridge P90 by Häussel
- Tuners: Kluson deluxe, metal oval knob
- Bridge: ABM non-ajustable aluminium wraparound
- Electronics: volume, tone with push-push to access tapped P90
- Finish: nitro-cellulose in TV White with closed pores
- Frets: jumbo medium, nickel silver 18%
- Nut: unbleashed bone
- Case: Hiscox hardcase
Spartan video review
Here below is the test that I realized that the first Spartan Michael had made.
Photos of Spartan already made
Note that it is also my intention to circulate as much as possible this instrument once it is finished among the backstagers (ie holders of the Backstage Pass) in the Paris area. The idea is to have as many people as possible to spend some time playing a guitar built by a luthier.
From a logistical point of view it will probably be difficult to circulate outside the Paris region guitar to limit the sending and handling fees.
So, that's it! You know everything. Can't wait to watch the first video Mikaël will send me. Come on Mikaël, let's get to work!
Playlist of the Spartan Project videos published