For Pierre Journel
Published on 2015-09-22
As a reminder or for your information, CNC means Computer Numerical Control (Wikipedia link). Basically in the guitar world it means that parts of an instrument are built by a machine who will carve the element from a piece of wood or metal. Many guitare builders such as Gibson, Fender, Taylor, Tom Anderson and Nik Huber (spoiler alert!) use the CNC at one degree or another in their building process.
Most of the luthiers who work alone or with small team do not have a CNC machine, by choice or because they can't afford the machine which can be very costly to buy and to program. Juha Ruokangas for example does not use at all the CNC in his building process. See his Luthier Chronicle about this subject.
- For or against the CNC machine?
- How does Nik use it in his workshop?
- The advantage to use a CNC machine
- What is done by the CNC, what is done by hand
- How he took the decision to introduce the CNC machine
- How long does it take to build a Nik Huber guitar?
- How the prototype are usually built?
- The development of new model